From: David Abrahams (david.abrahams_at_[hidden])
Date: 2001-07-03 18:02:23

----- Original Message -----

> I prefer to keep a version of boost that I know works with my code within
> project's source tree.

I do the same.

> I'd very much like to be able to refer to that
> location with relative paths, using #include "../libs/boost/etc.hpp".
> Instead, I have to mess around with my project or compiler's environment
> variables and command line options.

The usual thing is to make sure that the parent directory of boost (libs in
your example) is in your compiler's search path, so that #include
<boost/etc.hpp> works. The boost headers need this anyway, since that's how
many of them will get ahold of other boost headers.

> Since the locations used with #include <> are a subset of those matched by
> #include "" (for a more-conforming compiler), it's not clear that using
the
> bracket notation has any advantage for Boost.

No argument there.

> Regarding Vesa's comments, whilst I've personally never seen a system
where
> the difference in search times is measurable, I certainly agree with the
> safety aspect - "config.hpp" is a name I'd rather keep out of my system
> include paths.

Uh, yeah. I once had Python pick up the wrong config.h on me :-(

> I'd also like to mention that I've often had to explain to less
experienced
> programmers that, "No, boost/xyz.hpp isn't a standard header and although
> some parts of it might be one day, it'll almost certainly have a different
> name". Perhaps the time taken for mortals to understand was what Vesa was
> thinking about.

Interesting points

-Dave