From: Bill Seymour (bsey_at_[hidden])
Date: 2001-07-06 08:02:43

> It looks like all this stuff like 'q-char-seq' goes back to
> C89/90, ...

Yes.

> All I can conclude from the standard is that
> - there are two ways of including things
> - both have implementation-defined behavior
> - they're potentially different, but may work the same
> - #include<...> must work with standard headers

Yes.

> 'header' vs. 'source file': are they disjoint, or is
> one a subset of the other?

Unfortunately, neither is a subset of the other. Obviously,
there can be a source file that's not a header; and there
can also be a header, or at least a standard header, that's
not a source file. Implementations are free to see something
like "#include <stddef.h>" and just set a switch in the compiler
that makes all the appropriate names visible. This is quite
deliberate and was done mainly for the sake of free-standing
implementations that might lack even the concept of a "file;"
but it can also be used as a compile-time optimization by
hosted implementations.

--Bill Seymour