From: John E. Potter (jpotter_at_[hidden])
Date: 2001-07-06 15:30:21

On Fri, 6 Jul 2001, Beman Dawes wrote:

> Does anyone have a reason for so many people using either two or four space
> indents, but seemingly few using three spaces?

It's not even even, much less a power of two. ;)

Some people like to use half indents for some things.

void f ()
  {
    f0();
    if (c)
      {
        f1();
        f2();
      }
    else
        f3();
    f4();
  }

Yuk (IMO), but used. Legislating religion must be fun.

I have seen and used three for years. In one place, the editor and
system had unchangable tabs of six. Three was a half tab. Maybe
that led to my current four as a un*x half tab. Or maybe the fact
that the B margin is column 12 while the A margin is column 8. :)

I currently use tabs, setting my editor to show four spaces and do a
global replace whenever I need to send it to somebody who cares. I also
do a global replace to outdent the } if needed.

John