From: williamkempf_at_[hidden]
Date: 2001-07-13 10:00:26

I've just noticed something strange using the Boost.Build system.
Used to be when I changed a header file in Boost.Threads the build
system realized this and forced a compile for any source files that
included them. Today I noticed that this was no longer working.
With a little experimentation I discovered that when the header is
included with quotes ("") it considered it a dependency but when
included with angle brackets (<>) it wasn't. I don't know if this
changed in the Boost Jam stuff or changed because we've switched to
using FTJam, so I don't know the cause of this change.

In any event, this has me wondering about the include policy for
Boost and whether or not Boost.Build should behave this way. As a
VC++ programmer this is the behavior I typically deal with from the
IDE (where <> includes are not considered dependencies), and it
supports the specific semantics of the two include types used by my
compiler. However, these semantics are not portable, and I wonder
about the impact for both our guidelines and for how the build stuff
works. With the current guidelines of using <> for all Boost
includes the behavior of the build stuff is a bad thing. However,
the behavior may also be more compelling reason to change the policy
for Boost code.

Thoughts?

Bill Kempf