From: rwgk_at_[hidden]
Date: 2001-07-13 12:42:48

--- In boost_at_y..., "David Abrahams" <david.abrahams_at_r...> wrote:
> The best way would be an exception registration mechanism that
allows each
> module to register translations between C++ exception types and
> corresponding Python exceptions. There are a few technical problems,
> however. One is that, as far as I can tell from Python
documentation,
> exception objects are required to be instances of Python classes.
> Unfortunately, it is a long-standing problem that there's no way to
build a
> new Python class from an extension module, AFAIK.

It looks as if this might be changing with Python 2.2:

http://python.sourceforge.net/peps/pep-0252.html
http://python.sourceforge.net/peps/pep-0253.html

Maybe it is a good idea to start improving the support
for exception handling only after Python 2.2 is available.

Ralf

P.S.: See also:
http://mail.python.org/pipermail/python-dev/2001-May/014955.html
http://mail.python.org/pipermail/python-dev/2001-July/015950.html