From: williamkempf_at_[hidden]
Date: 2001-07-13 20:55:53

--- In boost_at_y..., Neil <neil_at_e...> wrote:
> Hmmm. Seems to be a problem with "" vs <> with include statements.
>
> As an "old-time" C programmer, the difference is as follows:
> #include <abcd.h> (compiler looks for abcd.h in the INCLUDE path)
> #include "abcd.h" (compiler looks in the current directory first,
then in
> the INCLUDE path).

This is the behavior of your C compiler, not the behavior defined by
either the C standard or C++ standard. That's the crux of
the "problem", both standards leave the actual behavior up to the
implementation with only a few very minor requirements/differences
between the two. For instance, most compilers I'm aware of use
behavior similar to what you list above, but each defines "current
directory" in it's own way, some meaning the directory the compiler
was executed from, some meaning the directory the source file is in,
and some meaning the directory in which the file currently being
parsed is in. The exact behavior can make a lot of difference for us.

Bill Kempf