From: Mark Rodgers (mark.rodgers_at_[hidden])
Date: 2001-07-16 16:48:54

> I feel we should accept the guidelines. The document clearly states
> that the intent isn't to force a style on submitted libraries.
> However, having a Boost sanctioned guideline makes the code much
> easier to read and maintain if a library does follow some consistent
> style, not only with itself but with other Boost libraries as well.
> We can't hope to do this, however, unless there's an "official"
> suggestion for Boost.

I think it depends very much on who we expect to maintain the libraries.
If we collectively maintain them then consistency might have its place.
If the contributer maintains them then the contributer should use the
style with which they are most familiar.

> Further, one goal of the Boost libraries is for them to be considered
> in future drafts of the standard. It will be much easier on the
> comittee if any submissions are implemented in a style consistent
> with the style used by the standard itself. Yes, some of the
> implementation details such as names of private data members won't
> mean much to the committee, but the public interface will.

That's what I said. We should only mandate external details such as
those that may find their way into a standard.

Mark