From: Kevlin Henney (kevlin_at_[hidden])
Date: 2001-07-17 04:47:30

> From: "Greg Colvin" <gcolvin_at_[hidden]>
>In my experience with corporate standards it has been helpful
>to distinguish "standards" and "guidelines". Where standards
>are to be followed in almost all cases, but guidelines are
>suggestions open to the discretion of the engineer. At Oracle
>we enforce the "standards" with a customized lint program.

This is a point also made in Les Hatton's excellent book "Safer C", and
is also the model that the original Ellemtel coding guidelines used to
distinguish between "rules" and "recommendations".

It is a common experience that if you merge the two concepts, then
meandering discussion of "recommendations" or "guidelines" will hijack
the discussion of more easily agreed "rules" or "standards" :-}

Kevlin

  Kevlin Henney phone: +44 117 942 2990
  Curbralan Limited mobile: +44 7801 073 508
  mailto:kevlin_at_[hidden] fax: +44 870 052 2289
  http://www.curbralan.com