From: David Abrahams (david.abrahams_at_[hidden])
Date: 2001-07-17 10:16:07

----- Original Message -----
From: <rwgk_at_[hidden]>
To: <boost_at_[hidden]>
Sent: Tuesday, July 17, 2001 9:56 AM
Subject: [boost] Boost.Python Development Projects

> I have created a web page with a list of
> "Boost.Python Development Projects":
>
> http://cci.lbl.gov/~rwgk/boost.python/projects.html

Great!

> I believe what is desperately needed is a document
> with a *high-level* overview of the inner workings
> of Boost.Python. Comments in the source code are
> not suitable for encouraging contributions.

If you meant that the comments we have currently are insufficient to
encourage contributions, I agree. If you mean that comments in source are
unsuitable /in principle/ I'm not sure I do.

> David, Ullrich, it is my impression that there is
> substantial interest in Boost.Python development.
> However, the barrier for others to get involved is
> very high. If you could outline the central ideas
> of the implementation,

I would be happy to do that, but it's hard to say what the "central ideas"
are. It would help if we could have a little bit of back-and-forth
discussion about it. For example, if you could ask some specific questions,
Ulli and I could answer them. Then someone could assemble the results into a
document.

> and include a little tutorial
> of meta-programming tricks used, or simply a list of
> good references, you could make a big difference.

That's also a toughie, I think. Again, I think it would help if I had
specific questions to answer. What qualifies as "metaprogramming" is not
always so well-defined.

-Dave