From: Ullrich Koethe (u.koethe_at_[hidden])
Date: 2001-07-17 13:25:22

David Abrahams wrote:

> Thanks! Why don't you check in your proposed changes on a branch?

Done. It's on branch build-development-gcc-unix (But I think it should
work on all platforms.)

> > Can I automatically code the platform/OS into the build property path?
> > (Normally, the parameters of gcc builds are identical accross platforms,
> > so one needs another means to distinguish.)
>
> Are you building on one platform for a different target?

No, we just use a central file system for all platforms. So
$BOOST_ROOT/libs/python/build/bin/noncopyable_export/gcc/debug/runtime-link-dynamic/shared-linkable-true/noncopyable_export.o
is actually only one file, no matter whether I'm looking from Solaris or
Linux. Of course, this doesn't work. So the filename should read

$BOOST_ROOT/libs/python/build/bin/Solaris2.8/...
and
$BOOST_ROOT/libs/python/build/bin/Linux.whatever/...

> > The Jamfile looks much more complicated than you are claiming in the
> > motivation for boost.build ("add simple entries naming the source
> > files"). Can this be simplified, or the functionality be absorbed into
> > boost-base.jam or allyourbase.jam?
>
> Boost Python has specialized testing needs that don't apply to most other
> projects, so the Jamfile is neccessarily more complex. I guess if we could
> identify the general-purpose Python debugging stuff and separate it from the
> rest, it might be a good idea. I'm open to suggestions.

Since Beman and I are planning to resume work on boost.unit_test, it
would be good to have a concept for unit test compilation and execution
build int boost.build. For example, one should be able to declare a
dependency between a target and a test:

exe myprog : myprog.cpp <lib>mylib
           : <unittest>mylibtest
unittest mylibtest : mylibtest.cpp <lib>mylib

The idea is that linking of myprog fails (is aborted) if the unittest
mylibtest didn't succeed before. The test is automatically recompiled
and re-executed if it's out-of-date relativ to myprog. Can this be
generalized enough to be put into boost-base.jam, say?

Ulli

| Ullrich Koethe  Universität Hamburg / University of Hamburg    |
|                 FB Informatik / Dept. of Computer Science      |
|                 AB Kognitive Systeme / Cognitive Systems Group |
| Phone: +49 (0)40 42883-2573                Vogt-Koelln-Str. 30 |
| Fax:   +49 (0)40 42883-2572                D - 22527 Hamburg   |
| Email: u.koethe_at_[hidden]               Germany             |
|        koethe_at_[hidden]                        |
| WWW:   http://kogs-www.informatik.uni-hamburg.de/~koethe/      |