From: Iain.Hanson_at_[hidden]
Date: 2001-07-17 13:59:55

     Hi,

     I think that there is a lot of very useful common ( and not so common
     ) sense in the guidelines. And, some essential mandatory items.

     However, having said that, in their current form they are *for me*
     over prescriptive in the style of many corpoate coding standards. As
     such, I am not surprised at the negative reaction and have some
     sympathy with it.

     I would prefer to see them split into two sections rather than two
     documents. The first section would be mandatory and would cover things
     like naming for Interface, and 2.14. Names containing double
     underscores ...

     The second section could be described as 'guidance' or 'good practice'
     but would have over prescriptive elements re-worded to be less
     prescriptive.
     i.e.:

     2.10. Data members should have a ``m_'' prefix, to distinguish them
     from an otherwise-identical member function name and to clarify their
     provenance in code which uses them. Non-member names must not have an
     ``m_'' prefix.

     should be changed to something like:

     2.10. Data Member Names. It is a common practice in C++ to have a
     naming scheme for data member variables. This helps to distinguish
     them from otherwise identical member function parameter names. Two
     common practicies are to prefix the name with 'm_' or to suffix the
     name with an '_'. The naming scheme chosen is almost certainly less
     inportant than that it be used consistenly. If you chose something
     other than a common naming scheme, it would be useful if this was
     noted in the documentation of the library.

     Formating

     These are generally religous and should *I believe* be dropped.
     Personally, I hate K & R style braces as they can be difficult to keep
     track of when nested and when code gets complex. But, I also know that
     I have as much chance of getting those who favour them, to give them
     up, as I have of getting a pig to fly ( under its own steam ).

     If people submit a library that is unreadable or so difficiult to
     follow due to inconsistent use of formating then it will get little
     attention and if proposed for review, it can be rejected.

     Besides, at least emacs users can always see code in their own
     prefered style :-).

     /ikh

for the individual named. If you are not the named addressee you
should not disseminate, distribute or copy this e-mail. Please

arrive late or incomplete, or contain viruses. The sender therefore
of this message which arise as a result of e-mail transmission. If
verification is required please request a hard-copy version. This
related financial instruments.