From: Alexander Terekhov (terekhov_at_[hidden])
Date: 2001-07-19 17:00:01

> That only shows that the ACE library has chosen to use this name in
> this manner (inconsistently, BTW). It doesn't mean that the choice
> was correct. You acquire a lock on a mutex. This means a mutex is
> not a lock.

this means that you have a very uncommon opinion, IMHO; whether
the choice was correct or incorrect does not really matter because
consensus is that you "acquire a mutex" which become locked:

2128 A thread that becomes the owner of a mutex is said to
     have acquired the mutex and the mutex is
2129 said to have become locked ; when a thread gives up
     ownership of a mutex it is said to have
2130 released the mutex and the mutex is said to have
     become unlocked.

btw, how do you call a "thing" which you can lock (mutex_lock(),
my friend dictionary says: XXXX: v. 1. To fasten a XXXX <- four
letters, starting with 'l' ;) ??

do you really want mutex_acquire_lock() ?

regards,
alexander.