From: Kevlin Henney (kevlin_at_[hidden])
Date: 2001-07-20 10:32:51

> From: "Corwin Joy" <cjoy_at_[hidden]>
[...]
>Given that the original 'any' class provided const only access, I think it
>would be interesting to hear what the compelling argument was for adding
>non-const access to the 'any' class in the first place.

IIRC, it was Ed Brey that made the suggestion. Part of the motivation
was that some users wanted to get their hands on the held value to
modify it without generating a copy, ie cast it out, modify it, put it
back in.

Kevlin

  Kevlin Henney phone: +44 117 942 2990
  mailto:kevlin_at_[hidden] mobile: +44 7801 073 508
  http://www.curbralan.com fax: +44 870 052 2289
  Curbralan: Consultancy + Training + Development + Review