From: Fernando Cacciola (fcacciola_at_[hidden])
Date: 2001-07-25 09:14:47

----- Original Message -----
From: Peter Dimov <pdimov_at_[hidden]>
To: <boost_at_[hidden]>
Sent: Wednesday, July 25, 2001 11:03 AM
Subject: Re: [boost] Re: downcasting smart pointers (suggested code)

> From: "Fernando Cacciola" <fcacciola_at_[hidden]>
>
> [...]
>
> > In COM-like systems, the reference counter is held by the object itself.
>
> Not universally. Intrusive counting is a source of problems when an object
> implements several interfaces (need to use virtual inheritance from the
base
> refcount manager.)
>
> A non-intrusive shared_ptr-based component library is quite possible, and
> think that it will be easier to use than COM.

Yes, of course.
I was thinking about the case when you need to use a third party COM-like
package with intrusive counting, such as Borland OCF or Microsoft ATL.

But of course, this is a facility that goes beyond a *pure* C++ library,
since as you stated, non-intrusive rc should be the choice, and even
cross-boundary components can be designed that way.

Then, I think your latest upload should be enough.

Fernando Cacciola
Sierra s.r.l.
fcacciola_at_[hidden]
www.gosierra.com