From: Fernando Cacciola (fcacciola_at_[hidden])
Date: 2001-07-25 13:28:53

----- Original Message -----
From: Vesa Karvonen <vesa.karvonen_at_[hidden]>
To: <boost_at_[hidden]>
Sent: Wednesday, July 25, 2001 3:22 PM
Subject: Re: Boost algorithm library (Was: [boost] New upload: algorithm.zip
1)

> From: "Fernando Cacciola" <fcacciola_at_[hidden]>
> > From: Vladimir Prus <ghost_at_[hidden]>
> > > 1. Would it make sense to make versions of all the algorithms working
on
> > > containers, not iterators pair.
> > >
> > Why do you need this functionality?
>
> I speak for myself, but the funny thing is that 99% of the time,
(c.begin(),
> c.end()) is the range that I want, and I really hate to repeat myself. The
> unfortunate thing is that due to the "pure abstraction" technique used by
> standard containers, the desired functionality is (more) difficult to
supply
> on top of standard containers.

Do you mean that you just don't want to write (c.begin(),c.end()) each time?
In that case a trivial wrapper that just expands to the range signature can
be provided, but the algorithm itself should use a range, unless it
specifically needs the container for something that is not supported by the
iterators.

Fernando Cacciola
Sierra s.r.l.
fcacciola_at_[hidden]