From: Beman Dawes (bdawes_at_[hidden])
Date: 2001-07-26 11:06:57

At 09:09 AM 7/26/2001, Peter Dimov wrote:

>From: "Philip Nash" <philip.nash_at_[hidden]>
>> Agreed. Sorry, I wasn't suggesting that the finalizer function be
dropped
>> from your proposal,
>
>There's nothing wrong with suggesting that. I am not entirely convinced
>that
>adding this finalizer support to shared_ptr is a good idea. I simply
>demonstrated that it can be done; this doesn't mean that it must be done.

I think that is a really important point. There are lots of advantages to
a small, very stable, shared_ptr. I really think that many of the possible
"improvements" should be explored in the context of a completely new
design, along the lines of Andrei Alexandrescu's smart pointer policy
classes.

--Beman