From: Fernando Cacciola (fcacciola_at_[hidden])
Date: 2001-07-26 12:23:39

----- Original Message -----
From: Jeremy Siek <jsiek_at_[hidden]>
To: <boost_at_[hidden]>
Sent: Thursday, July 26, 2001 1:41 PM
Subject: RE: [boost] Re: Boost algorithm library

> On Thu, 26 Jul 2001, Fernando Cacciola wrote:
> > If I were to reinvent the STL, I would separate containers from ranges
right
> > from the start. That is, a container would have a member function
range()
> > returning a range object, and all the algorithms would use range
objects.
> > Unfortunately, we can just wrap STL, but that should be done carefully.
>
> We don't need member functions and wrapping. Global make_range() functions
> taking a single container argument would do the trick.

Yes, and this is what we will probably end up doing.
But that won't solve the problem of feeding a true container to an algorithm
that requires a range to avoid duplicating part of the container due to
subrange expressions. If containers had range() instead of begin(),end()
this wouldn't happen.

Fernando Cacciola
Sierra s.r.l.
fcacciola_at_[hidden]