From: Greg Colvin (greg_at_[hidden])
Date: 2001-07-27 15:07:51

From: Philip Nash <philip.nash_at_[hidden]>
> > From: Peter Dimov [mailto:pdimov_at_[hidden]]
>
> > > just that getting into the IiRA idiom's is probably
> > > beyond the scope of shared_ptr without bloating it (which you seem to
> > agree
> > > with from the above).
> >
> > Actually neither shared_resource nor shared_ptr implements the RAII idiom.
> > (auto_ptr doesn't either.)
>
> You are right, of course.
>
> > The RAII idiom, when followed, _enforces_ the basic exception safety
> > guarantee; anything that acquires resources outside a constructor
> > does not:

The way I see it is that the use of auto_ptr and shared_ptr constructors from
raw pointers should almost always be hidden inside of factory functions or
handle object constructors. So it is unfortunate, but acceptable, that they
are prone to misuse. That said, your suggestions below are very interesting.