From: williamkempf_at_[hidden]
Date: 2001-07-31 09:50:48

> In addition to exception saftey, this library needs to be
thread safe
> by design. This means that in order to follow the C++
principle of
> 'you only pay for what you use', we will need a null_mutex fro
boost
> threads.

If you don't use boost::condition with the mutex a null_mutex type
can be coded up with out any effort at all (and in fact such a mutex
can not be safely used with a condition variable). For that reason
I've not included this type in Boost.Threads. It's important that we
get Boost.Threads accepted quickly, and this means I need to keep the
library "minimal but complete" for the initial submission. There are
numerous other types that I expect to add to Boost.Threads later, and
this includes a null_mutex. In the mean time I'd suggest either
coding your own or using conditional compilation instead of the
Strategized Locking pattern.

Bill Kempf