From: Beman Dawes (bdawes_at_[hidden])
Date: 2001-07-31 19:22:01

At 10:19 AM 7/31/2001, Iain.Hanson_at_[hidden] wrote:

> Protocol.
>
> The requirements currently say that the library should be (
> predominantly ) restricted to IPv4 & IPv6. I would expect the
initail
> implementation to be based on IPv4 as the is the most used of
network
> protocols. However, it would be a mistake IMO, to not take other
main
> stream but less popular protocols into account, for the requirements

> and design. C++ and its libraries have, as far as I can see, always
> attempted to be inclusive rather than exclusive. Excluding other
> protocols from consideration in the requirements and design is
likely
> to be detremental to the generality of such a design and is some
what
> akin to saying we'll exclude the requirements for real-time systems
> because thay are not main stream.
>
> Protocols that I believe should *at least* be considered in the
design

> are: OSI, SS7, and ATM. If anyone has any additions to this list,
I'd
> be interested to here them.

Please consider the requirements a "straw man" meant to start
discussion. Thus if you have experience that says they should be changed,
by all means do so.

I was trying to avoid expanding the requirements to include areas outside
of "network programming". The sockets interface could be viewed as a
general read/write interface, and so feature creep might expand the library
way outside of the network programming arena. Personally, I don't think
that would be a good idea, particularly for version 1. But if it can be
expanded to handle other network protocols, without distorting the design
otherwise, that would seem to be a clear win.

--Beman