From: Iain.Hanson_at_[hidden]
Date: 2001-08-02 05:25:49

Author: bdawes (bdawes_at_[hidden]) at unix,mime
Date: 01/08/01 22:29

>At 01:16 PM 8/1/2001, Jon Kalb wrote:

>>Apple's <X networking interface is called OpenTransport and it is based
>>on XTI (Streams).

>Thanks for the information.

I do love good news :-). XTI is the POSIX version of TLI ( Transport Layer
Interface ). The SVR4 alternative to sockets. Its implemented in Sys V streams
which means that you can build a custom protocol stacks by pushing and poping
protocols without re-booting the box, very much like a pipe. Even Windows has
Sys V streams and I think TLI. And it will be a lot easier to implement a
networking library on this than on Windows!

>XTI is documented in Steven's Unix "Networking Programming" book mentioned
>in the requirements document.

>Skim reading what he has to say about sockets and XTI, "...the network
>programming techniques are the same. What changes are the function names,
>function arguments, and some of the nitty-gritty details..." Later he
>says interoperability between XTI and sockets is complete, as it is
>determined by the TCP or UDP protocols, and not the API. "The API we use
>to write either the client or server makes no difference." So it sounds
>like a Boost library stands a reasonable chance of being implementable
>using XTI.

>It might be an interesting exercise to try an XTI implementation once a
>design is available, if any programmers with access to XTI would
>volunteer

One og the reasons I was calling this the network library is that I had in
mind the possibliity of an XTI/TLI implementation. Possibly using a
templatised bridge pattern.

/ikh

for the individual named. If you are not the named addressee you
should not disseminate, distribute or copy this e-mail. Please

arrive late or incomplete, or contain viruses. The sender therefore
of this message which arise as a result of e-mail transmission. If
verification is required please request a hard-copy version. This
related financial instruments.