From: Scott McCaskill (scott_at_[hidden])
Date: 2001-08-07 13:45:40

> > I'm writing a compiler, if I get any kind of error,
> > I print a message and terminate.
>
> That's a reasonable model, but if I were going to do that there would be
no
> point in using an exception: I'd just print the message and call exit(1).

Really? That seems like a very big decision to make at such a low level.

> > There's something I can't lay my fingers on:
> > EH is dynamic, and very 'loose': its very easy to forget
> > to catch some exception you should have caught.
>
> Naw, almost every try ought to come with a catch(...) at the end.

If I saw code that did that, I would think that the intent was, "if an
exception was thrown, and I don't know what kind of exception it is, I'm not
going to let any of my callers know about it." Why would one want to do
this (as a general rule)?