From: Beman Dawes (bdawes_at_[hidden])
Date: 2001-08-07 16:47:29

At 03:47 PM 8/7/2001, John Max Skaller wrote:

>Beman Dawes wrote:

> Thanks! So now you get my comments :-)
>
>The motivation is only partially right. Even on single CPU machines,
>we want multi-threaded programming, but there is no parallelism at all,
>except deep in the CPU. So why not just say multi-threaded programming?

OK, I'll take a look at that wording.

>'xt is reached' ??
>
>Try 'until xt milliseconds have elapsed
>since the function call began'? You need to give units,
>and to specify the initial event from which timing begins,
>and also specify how precise the timing is. The latter is non-trivial:
>I suspect you have to say 'when _at least_ xt milliseconds have elapsed,
>and when at most xt+IMPLEMENTOR_DEFINED_LIMIT milliseconds have elapsed.
>Then you need to add that xt shall fall into an implementor defined
>range. Probably, this is all complex enough to warrant some
>'front matter'.

Bill has already responded to this; it is on the issues list. Why it is
designed the way it is will be a FAQ, too, so we need to add something
there.

>In general --- this is really good stuff! I like the design,
>and approve of most of the design decisions. I get the feeling that
>
> a) I could use the library easily having read the doco
>
> b) it's beginning to 'spec down' the changes needed for the
> abstract machine
>
> c) the design lets me shoot myself if I want, or use safer
> alternatives if I want
>
> d) the decision to build a C++ library from ground up,
> rather than wrapping a C API is well justified
> by the actual design (and well explained in the doco)
>
>No, its not anywhere near ready for Standardisation.
>But it's very close to being immediately useful, and well on the
>track for gaining the experience needed -- with both the model
>and its documentation -- to prepare a submission for Standardisation.
>[And I'm not trying to be politically acceptable this time :-]

Thanks! Bill has worked very, very hard on all aspects, and gotten help
from a huge number of people.

Once we get a formal review (which I hope to post a schedule for tomorrow),
perhaps we can get some language experts from the Core Working Group to
help with the abstract machine.

--Beman