From: Peter Dimov (pdimov_at_[hidden])
Date: 2001-08-13 08:02:18

From: "John Max Skaller" <skaller_at_[hidden]>
> Ross Smith wrote:
>
> > We've been through this and got nowhere. My main objections -- and I'm
> > stating these here again just for the record, not because I want to open
> > the argument again -- are that it uses too much pthread-specific
> > terminology (e.g. "join"),
>
> Oh, come one: joining threads isn't pthread specific.
> It's a general concept, the terminology is used in a lot
> of theoretical literature too.

I trust you that "join" is _the_ term to use according to the experts in the
field, but (FWIW)

* I (to express a non-field-expert view) don't have the slightest idea what
"joining a thread" means; I think that when a function waits for a thread to
finish, it should be called "waitForThreadToFinish", not "join."

* I get the impression that the current meaning of boost::thread::join does
not exactly match the established meaning of the term.

--
Peter Dimov
Multi Media Ltd.