From: Philip Nash (philip.nash_at_[hidden])
Date: 2001-08-13 08:38:26

I have recently had to use globals in order to be called from a C interface,
which expects state to be global. Nonetheless I wrapped all the "global"
data up into a class and held an object of its type in a single global smart
ptr.

> We might not "resolve" the issue to everyone's
> satisfaction, but it could still be very enlightening and help
> many of us raise the level of our design skills. Even if nobody
> is brave enough to attempt an implementation of a boost singleton
> library right now (and I know I'm not), this discussion could lay
> the foundation for some documentation for it that supplies examples
> of when singletons should and should not be used and why.

Personally I think the Singleton implementation provided by Andrei
Alexandrescu in his "Modern C++ Design" book is pretty good. I'm not saying
it can't be improved on (he starts out by conceding that the Singleton
concept can have many incarnations, but his implementation provides most of
the usual variations through policies).
There may be other problems with it - maybe someone else could give some
examples - but as I see it a likely obstacle to having a Loki-like Singleton
accepted into boost is that it relies heavily on atexit(), which seems to be
inconsistently implemented across compilers.
Does anyone have any workarounds for that?

[)o
IhIL..