From: Ross Smith (ross.s_at_[hidden])
Date: 2001-08-15 16:56:32

"David A. Greene" wrote:

> Beman Dawes wrote:
>
> > Comments? Anyone like to try to put together a preliminary list of
> > libraries?
>
> As a user of these libraries, I'd agree with others that smart_ptr
> should be submitted.

I disagree. shared_ptr is an early part of Boost that could use
revisiting before any attempt to standardise it. More specifically, have
a look at the policy-based smart pointers Andrei Alexandrescu describes
in _Modern C++ Design_. After you've explored the possibilities of
policy-based templates, I don't think you'll be satisfied with a
one-size-fits-all design.

There are other places where this approach could be useful. For example,
I've been toying with a policy-based array template that combines the
functionality of boost::array and std::vector, along with several other
behaviour options; I'll submit it to Boost sometime soon.

--
Ross Smith <ross.s_at_[hidden]> The Internet Group, Auckland, New Zealand
"Unix has always lurked provocatively in the background of the operating