From: Peter Dimov (pdimov_at_[hidden])
Date: 2001-08-16 05:05:37

From: <williamkempf_at_[hidden]>
> Someone pointed out that we chose to go with "notify_one"
> and "notify_all" instead of "signal" and "broadcast". I was actually

That someone was me.

> in favor of the latter initially, but enough people felt the other
> names were more meaningful and I was swayed. Why am I not swayed
> this time? Because "signal" and "broadcast" aren't as universally
> accepted as "join" is.

The reason I pointed this out is that adopting "join" but not "signal" and
"broadcast" will alienate both groups: the POSIX people (who'd have
preferred a consistent POSIX-like naming scheme; POSIX is a standard, after
all) and the non-"expert" people (who'd like a consistent "obvious" naming
scheme.)

--
Peter Dimov
Multi Media Ltd.