From: Peter Dimov (pdimov_at_[hidden])
Date: 2001-08-20 07:53:41

From: "John Max Skaller" <skaller_at_[hidden]>
> Peter Dimov wrote:
>
> > Of course this is a single typedef away from thread::ref so you all must
> > hate me by now.
>
> Don't be silly. If the design is that close to being
> able to use shared_ptr on a thread object, the design has
> succeeded. No one wanted to force you to use the low level
> non-copyable thread objects, rather, the design _should_
> make it easy to wrap those objects in a 'standard' ref counting
> template.

I thought that it did but I encountered a problem - see my other post.

> So the question is: if you do that, does it actually
> work? How close is 'smart_ptr<thread>' to a good implementation
> of 'thread_ref'?? Is it good enough to actually add as a typedef
> to the thread library?? :-)

I think that I'm close to a prototype thread::ref running over
boost::thread; I only need to solve the problem with passing the thread proc
a shared_ptr to the thread object (and to find the time to sit down and
implement it. Bind reviewers had a rather high standard of acceptance. :-) )

--
Peter Dimov
Multi Media Ltd.