From: John Max Skaller (skaller_at_[hidden])
Date: 2001-08-22 00:03:33

williamkempf_at_[hidden] wrote:

> > POSIX:
> >
> > "void pthread_exit(void * value_ptr);
> > The process shall exit with an exit status of 0 after
> > the last thread has been terminated. The behavior shall
> > be as if the implementation called exit() with a zero
> > argument at thread termination time."
>
> Hmm... I was not aware that POSIX operated this way. Seems to me
> that this means the pthreads-win32 isn't compliant (unless they found
> some way to work around this). The main thread on Win32 is
> synonymous with the process and if you exit the process all threads
> are terminated. I'm not sure what Boost.Threads will do in this
> regard if/when we add thread::exit().

        AFAIK Linux isn't compliant either. There's no such thing as a thread
under Linux. They're all processes. Any one can die at any time,
the others just keep running. Creating a daemon on Linux is easy :-)

        You may need to add a detach method, and require either
join or detach be called. [Then a fault is the users, no matter which
OS they're using]

--
John (Max) Skaller, mailto:skaller_at_[hidden]
New generation programming language Felix  http://felix.sourceforge.net