From: scleary_at_[hidden]
Date: 2001-08-29 15:35:42

> > So I still think we should be "optimistic" for the sake of knowing
> > exactly when are optimism is misplaced.
>
> I think the best way to find that out is to test, rather than using all
> the Boost users themselves as a test bed.

I'm not sure where I stand on this one. I tend to lean towards the
optimistic view, but it has problems when users are more on the
cutting-edge. That is, it works fine if the only publicly-available
compilers come out in regular releases not too often -- as is the case with
commercial compilers. But it starts to fall apart when users are using, for
example, beta versions of STLPort (or maybe CVS versions of gcc could have
this problem too) -- where the version number is increased, but the bug
isn't fixed and Boost hasn't caught up yet.

        -Steve