From: Peter Dimov (pdimov_at_[hidden])
Date: 2001-08-30 06:55:33

From: "William Kempf" <williamkempf_at_[hidden]>
> >I don't see this in thread_specific_ptr.html.
>
> Quoted from the introduction in thread_specific_ptr.html:
>
> "Template thread_specific_ptr stores a pointer to an object obtained via
new
> on a thread-by-thread basis and deletes the object when a thread
> terminates."

The statement makes perfect sense to me now when I already know what it's
supposed to mean, but I somehow managed to miss its significance on the
first - and two subsequent - readings. ;-)

The reference section doesn't mention that thread_specific_ptr calls
'delete' on the contained pointer on thread exit, though. Only on reset().

BTW, you've done a great job! I took a look at the implementation of
thread_specific_ptr and was impressed. It's even possible to implement a
cleanup handler list with it (although it'd probably be simpler to expose
the internal cleanup handler support.)

--
Peter Dimov
Multi Media Ltd.