From: Anatoli Tubman (anatoli_at_[hidden])
Date: 2001-08-30 11:03:41

On Thursday 30 August 2001 17:25, Burkhard Kloss wrote:
> [me:]
> >Oh come on. The question is not what is more fundamental, but what is
> >more useful. Which makes it much trickier, because usefulness is
> >relative. Meter is also a derived unit. This does not make it
> >any less useful.
>
> Well, meters are useful to a larger population - i.e. the rest of the world
> outside of the US and UK. Also, technical people in non-metric countries
> will understand metric units because they are also in use; people from
> metric countries generally have no idea what feet etc are.

A lot of fine technical people understand joules, but *use* electron-volts.

I mean,
 (1) different users want to use different measurement-systems, and
 (2) we can build a library that supports *any* kind of measurement-system
     *at no additional cost to the user.*

Adding (1) and (2) together, I cannot see in what respect a SI-only library
would be better.

--
anatoli at ptc dot com -- opinions are mine