From: boost (boost_at_[hidden])
Date: 2001-08-31 00:53:22

Salut,

> > If you don't provide a conversion, then there *is* a problem, because the
> > user will provide one for himself -- incorrectly.
>
> I feel that
> pounds <--> newtons
> slugs <--> kilograms
> should both be allowed, but
> pounds <--> kilograms
> should not, unless perhaps with a real_ugly_cast.

I would like to point out that a pound is not well defined,

a german pound is 500g nowadays, but there just to be several different
definitions of a pound

Searchinbg the Web I found the follwing:

1 Casseler pound ~ 32 Loth ~ 1,03349 Berliner pound ~ 0,86464 Wiener pound
(http://www.genealogienetz.de/reg/HES/hesmass.html#gewichte)

http://www.kartenmeister.com/html/measurements__coinage.html

I'm sure there are much more definitions for a pound.
The same applies to feet, miles, ells ... .

Please avoid pounds, feet, ... etc. The may have different meanings
in different regions of the world, or specify them explicitly with a region
name.

Best wishes,
Peter