From: williamkempf_at_[hidden]
Date: 2001-09-07 07:56:39

--- In boost_at_y..., "Peter Dimov" <pdimov_at_m...> wrote:
> From: "William Kempf" <williamkempf_at_h...>
> > From: "Peter Dimov" <pdimov_at_m...>
> > >I get multiple 4786 warnings in tss.cpp and it doesn't compile
in debug
> for
> > >some reason.
> >
> > Strange. Are you using Jam or rolling your own build procedure?
Using
> VC++
> > 6, SP5 on Win2K and using the Jam system everything compiles with
no
> > warnings or errors, even in Debug.
>
> That's probably because the default warning level is 3 for MSVC; I
always
> use -W4, though. Some consider this a major QoI issue. ;-)

C4786 is a level 3 warning though, so this is not the cause.

> > Hmmm... I thought Win32 was supposed to support ANSI and UNICODE
on all
> > Win32 platforms?
>
> Nope, Win9x supports little to no Unicode.
>
> > The Unicode versions are faster on NT/Win2K and since XP
> > replaces the 9x line I figured it would be better to stick with
UNICODE
> > here. If there is a problem I can easily change to ANSI versions
though.

> Depends on whether you consider a problem the fact that it doesn't
work on
> Win9x. ;-)

I'll fix this.

> (You can use TCHAR if you consider the performance difference
significant.)

Won't really be much help for those using the Boost.Build system
since this will have to use ANSI regardless. The performance
difference isn't great enough to fight this, I'll just make it ANSI.

Bill Kempf