From: Jeremy Siek (jsiek_at_[hidden])
Date: 2001-09-07 11:11:27

On Fri, 7 Sep 2001 williamkempf_at_[hidden] wrote:

willia> --- In boost_at_y..., John Maddock <John_Maddock_at_c...> wrote:
willia>
willia> > Mutex:
willia> > ~~~~
willia> >
willia> > Ideally I would like each mutex type to be as efficient as
willia> possible: on
willia> > win32 that means using critical sections and not mutexes where
willia> possible
willia> > (mutex and recursive_mutex). Last I heard, a win32 mutex is about
willia> 4x as
willia> > slow as a critical section, and given that the simpler primitives
willia> here are
willia> > likely to be used in "contentious" situations, I would like them to
willia> be as
willia> > efficient as possible.
willia>
willia> I've talked about this elsewhere.

Could the rationale and performance numbers please be added to the
rationale page. Performance is a BIG issue for lots of users, and those
users will look elsewhere if Boost.Threads doesn't provide the best
performance.

Cheers,
Jeremy

 Jeremy Siek http://php.indiana.edu/~jsiek/
 Ph.D. Student, Indiana Univ. B'ton email: jsiek_at_[hidden]
 C++ Booster (http://www.boost.org) office phone: (812) 855-9761