From: Jens Maurer (Jens.Maurer_at_[hidden])
Date: 2001-09-10 16:49:32

Beman Dawes wrote:
> * Provide better, thread-safe, C++ oriented solutions. Haven't our Random
> Number and Tokenizer libraries already done that for the first two on the
> list? (I haven't looked at the code; is it thread-safe?)

Both Random Number and Tokenizer don't have any global state I'm
aware of, so they're thread-safe in the sense that distinct objects
of the same type (or of different type) can co-exist in different
threads without doing harm to one another. It does not appear
to be useful to wrap either Random Number or Tokenizer into
thread-synchronization primitimes at the boost library level.
(No sane person will compete for a single pseudo-random number
generator from different threads.)

> Opinions?

Provide C++ replacements, don't muck with xxx_r().

Jens Maurer