From: George A. Heintzelman (georgeh_at_[hidden])
Date: 2001-09-13 08:14:17

> > Adding new quantities, too, is useful. However, you are suggesting
> > adding a new quantity that requires adding a new "dimension" first. I
> > understand what you are proposing, but the International System of
> > Units does not provide any guidance in this direction.
> >

> I certainly like the adherance to standards. Fruther the SI standards
> have been fairly well thought out. So it does make sense to have a
> pure SI-units library. I guess I'm argueing that it also makes sense
> to have a user-defined-units library.

Dean,

Thank you for saying what I've been groping at. I think this is
ultimately the conclusion I was coming to, and as you say the question
is the organization of the functionality. As best I can see, there are
three possibilities: two separate libraries, one library built on
another, or one integrated library. That is a difficult question, but I
think that there will be enough duplicated functionality -- the basic
definition of commensuration and mixing of units in particular -- that
I don't see the first option as terribly inviting.

In any event, I entirely agree that pure SI-units functionality is
definitely useful to those of us working in such domains; for those of
us outside those domains, there is work to be done with the existing
library as a guiding light.

George Heintzelman
georgeh_at_[hidden]