From: Rainer Deyke (root_at_[hidden])
Date: 2001-09-15 17:57:08

----- Original Message -----
From: "JJ" <john_at_[hidden]>
To: <boost_at_[hidden]>
Sent: Saturday, September 15, 2001 2:46 PM
Subject: [boost] File naming

> Question: Why are the header files named using .hpp rather than .h or no
> extension?

The purpose of file extensions is to communicate the "type" of the file,
both to humans and to computer programs. The '.h' extension is used for C
header files, and therefore communicates the wrong thing when used for C++
header files. Using no extension communicates nothing and forces you to
look at the file contents to determine its type. Using '.hpp' unambiguously
identifies as C++ header file.

At least, that's my reasoning for why I use the '.hpp' extension. I was not
involved in choosing a naming convention for Boost.

--
Rainer Deyke (root_at_[hidden])
Shareware computer games           -           http://rainerdeyke.com