From: Jeremy Siek (jsiek_at_[hidden])
Date: 2001-09-18 10:46:57

Hi Johannes,

On Tue, 18 Sep 2001, Brunen, Johannes wrote:
jbrune> I have a little question about the boost graph library.
jbrune> Last weekend I read the 'last' pdf - document about the
jbrune> former GGCL library, which I loaded from lsc-nd in August
jbrune> 2000. I'm especially interested in the tree concepts of
jbrune> the graph library. However, looking at the current boost
jbrune> graph documentation I couldn't find a word about it.
jbrune> Aren't there any plans about trees with respect to the
jbrune> graph library? Is it possible to create generic tree types
jbrune> on top of the boost graph library? Is this recommended or
jbrune> should I build trees (quadtrees, ...) directly on top of
jbrune> the STL. Or is there a known source of a generic tree
jbrune> implementation?

We currently use tree concepts/data-structures in the implementation of
boost/pending/mutable_queue.hpp, see the files
boost/pending/mutable_heap.hpp and
boost/graph/detail/array_binary_tree.hpp. I have not had the time to
polish up the code, write docs, etc. in order to make these components
public.

The tree interface used there is similar to the older GGCL graph
interface... it should be updated, e.g. the children() function return
return a pair of children_iterator instead of a pseudo-container.

jbrune> The mentioned pdf-document just remind me (from its
jbrune> structure) of the famous book of Matt Auster about the
jbrune> STL. Are there plan to publish this document at
jbrune> Addison-Wesley?

Yes, we have written a book, and will publish it with Addison-Wesley. It
is currently in the copy-edit stage.

jbrune> The reason I'm directly mailing to you is that I'm not a
jbrune> member of the boost mailing list. So please excuse.

No problem. I've also copied this email to the boost list, in case others
are interested in trees.

Cheers,
Jeremy

 Jeremy Siek http://php.indiana.edu/~jsiek/
 Ph.D. Student, Indiana Univ. B'ton email: jsiek_at_[hidden]
 C++ Booster (http://www.boost.org) office phone: (812) 855-9761