From: David Abrahams (david.abrahams_at_[hidden])
Date: 2001-09-23 08:43:50

Hi Tim,

Yeah, you are missing something, though I have to admit it's a subtle point.
It took me quite a while to figure out what was going on with your case. The
problem is that because boost::shared_ptr<> uses a non-intrusive reference
count, you can't create a shared_ptr to any arbitrary object. Boost.Python
was designed to be able to handle objects returned from C++ held by all
kinds of smart pointers (e.g. std::auto_ptr). Given an arbitrary object of
type T, it isn't possible to safely create a shared_ptr<T>, because the T's
lifetime may be managed by some auto_ptr<> or even some other shared_ptr<>.

On the other hand, I think that it might be worthwhile to give special
status to shared_ptr<T> in Boost.Python. After all, auto_ptr<T> is
convertible to it, so we might consider managing all wrapped instances with
shared_ptr. I believe that approach would even be compatible with planned
extensions which allow returned references to subobjects (see
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/boost/message/10144). To do that, however,
would require some substantial rework of low-level code in the library.

Ralf Grosse-Kunstleve is maintaining a list of Boost.Python development
projects (http://cci.lbl.gov/~rwgk/boost.python/projects.html). If you are
interested in contributing a patch to the library, I'm sure it would be
appreciated.

-Dave