From: Jim.Hyslop (jim.hyslop_at_[hidden])
Date: 2001-09-25 14:41:14

David Abrahams [SMTP:david.abrahams_at_[hidden]] wrote:
> Note that this procedure writes over the main trunk revision with the
branch
> revision, without trying to merge. Maybe that's what you wanted; if so,
> fine.
Actually, in this case it is. The trunk revisions were all dead, it is safe
to simply move the branch revision into the trunk.

Again, I must emphasize - in _this_ case, it is safe.

> I wonder how the repository got into this condition?
Sorry, I neglected to provide my analysis of how this situation came about,
and how to replicate it. I examined the log files for the files in question,
and discovered that the main trunk had been removed (using the cvs remove
command). The sequence of events to replicate this is:

Create a new file, check it into the repository
Apply a branch tag
Remove the file from the repository
Check out the branch - CVS will happily retrieve it from the Attic
Modify the file and check it in
Check out the trunk
Attempt to merge

I replicated the problem in our cvs-test area here at Leitch, and figured
out the steps required to fix the problem.

--
Jim