From: Jeremy Siek (jsiek_at_[hidden])
Date: 2001-09-26 11:42:38

On Wed, 26 Sep 2001, David Abrahams wrote:

david.>
david.> ----- Original Message -----
david.> From: "Daryle Walker" <darylew_at_[hidden]>
david.>
david.> > Did you guys notice that I made iterator comparison partially ordered?
david.> (It
david.> > was originally totally ordered.) You shouldn't compare iterators from two
david.> > different containers.
david.>
david.> Hmm. No, I didn't notice such a change... Thanks for
david.> pointing it out. Actually, I'm not sure it's an
david.> appropriate change. What does the comparison between
david.> iterators from different sequences have to do with partial
david.> ordering? Iterators which can be compared always form a
david.> total order, AFAIK. Why should we choose the
david.> less-efficient implementation?

I agree, it should be a total ordering, which still does not mean you can
compare iterator from different containers, each container is its own
universe. It just means that there is a total ordering for all iterators
pointing into the same container.

Cheers,
Jeremy

 Jeremy Siek http://php.indiana.edu/~jsiek/
 Ph.D. Student, Indiana Univ. B'ton email: jsiek_at_[hidden]
 C++ Booster (http://www.boost.org) office phone: (812) 855-9761