From: Beman Dawes (bdawes_at_[hidden])
Date: 2001-09-30 20:10:07

At 02:15 PM 9/27/2001, Fernando Cacciola wrote:

> [...]

For the reasons given by Jens and others, I doubt you would find any
support at all from the standards committee.

Remember too that C++ compilers are getting closer to being standards
conforming. Metrowerks shipped their latest September 10th. GCC has put
out two releases this summer and has committed publicly to an aggressive
schedule of future releases. Microsoft is well into a second beta for
their upcoming release. Comeau is claiming they will soon support
"export". In private communications I've had with several vendors, it
seems there is increased interest in making sure compilers can handle at
least the Boost libraries, if not more portable, standards conforming C++
code in general.

--Beman