From: Thomas Lien (tgunlien_at_[hidden])
Date: 2001-10-02 17:46:08

> In my understanding "Matrix" is not restricted
> to numerics only.
> Anyway, I agree that there is need for
> moredimensional arrays (or whatever name you
> choose).
I checked out www.dict.org and the definitions I saw
seem to agree with you. That being the case, matrix is
the better name.

> In addition observe that there has already been
> quite a lot of discussion on matrices in boost,
> see e.g.

Thanks for the tip. Seems there are several in the
"vault" but not accepted yet. The ones I saw that seem
to be related are matrix.zip, multi_array, and
numeric/mtl3.tar.gz. Did I miss any? Any chance of a
consolidation effort amongst these?

> You would exclude every application
> where the array size is not known at compile time,
> in particular you would exclude most numerical
> calculations.
I see the trade off, and now that I think about it I
agree that deciding the size at compile time is too
limiting. Fortunately, putting the COLS and ROWS as
constructor parameters instead is an easy change.