From: Paul Baxter (paul_baxter_at_[hidden])
Date: 2001-10-04 11:17:32

> We've had a request from someone who wants to offer commercial support for
> Boost libraries (and already has one contract to do so.) The request is
> for a link to their web site on the Boost web site.

Personally, I believe this would be a dangerous precedent so I'd be inclined
not to support it.

Whilst I can sympathise with the predicament, I'm not at all sure that
'advertising' these services will be in the best interests of Boost.

Accusations of cronyism etc. could be brought along with abuse of the
preferential position.

Perhaps a particularly active member will get his photo (and current
company) in the boost 'faces' section, but leave it to their company web
site to offer Boost 'support' and an outline of staff's achievements.

Users can follow the mailing list to get an idea of the legitimacy of any
claims. The 'faces' page will then add additional credence.

It mirrors concerns Boost has had in recommending compiler vendors etc. You
just publish conformance facts and leave it to the reader.

Some people may be well qualified to support Boost (I see Dave Abrahams is
looking for a very well paid job ;) ) but that will only be borne out by
their activities within Boost.

Paul Baxter