From: David Abrahams (david.abrahams_at_[hidden])
Date: 2001-10-04 13:27:40

----- Original Message -----
From: <williamkempf_at_[hidden]>

> C:\home\boost>set BOOST_ROOT
> Environment variable BOOST_ROOT not defined
>
> C:\home\boost>jam -ftools/build/allyourbase.jam
> ...found 614 targets...
> ...updating 24 targets...
> msvc-C++-action
> libs\thread\build\bin\libboost_thread\msvc\debug\runtime-link-dy
> namic\threading-multi\condition.obj
> condition.cpp
> msvc-C++-action
> libs\thread\build\bin\libboost_thread\msvc\debug\runtime-link-dy
> namic\threading-multi\mutex.obj
> mutex.cpp
> etc.

Bizarre. Could you please send me the output of "jam -f<...> -n -d+5"?

> Three things to note here:
>
> 1) I'm not posting all of the environment here since there's some
> things that are sensitive for security reasons. If you want the full
> listing from a set command I can e-mail it to you privately, but the
> important thing is shown above... BOOST_ROOT is not defined.

No problem.

> 2) I'm using codebase pulled from CVS sometime earlier today and not
> codebase from the latest boostall.zip. I don't think this makes any
> difference, but I'm mentioning just in case you have made recent
> changes to Boost.Build that somehow effect this.

I haven't.

> 3) Boost.Regex doesn't compile here because I can't run "clean" on
> it. Attempting to do so results in the following output:

<snip>
If you try this with jam built from the sources I checked in on the jam_src
branch and the JAMSHELL variable set to "%", I bet it will work... unless
you've gone over 10K characters in the command line ;-)

Anyway, clean should be able to be made to work "piecemeal", so this won't
be an issue.

-Dave