From: David Abrahams (david.abrahams_at_[hidden])
Date: 2001-10-10 14:10:01

----- Original Message -----
From: "Toon Knapen" <toon.knapen_at_[hidden]>

> David Abrahams wrote:
>
> >>On SGI, jam compiled fined (after setting the executable flag on
> >>'yyacc'). Some time ago, you agreed with my proposition to provide
> >>jam-executables to the boost users for the most popular platforms. Do I
> >>already check in the SGI version and where ?
> >>

> > I'm not sure yet. What do you think?
>

> Well you know my point of view. Boost Users should be able to build
> boost at their site with a minimum of hassle. If the installation is not
> configure ; make ; make install, it should at least be as simple.
> Including the jam-executable in the boost download package helps to make
> local installation simple.

I agree with you completely. I am only unsure of these things:
1. Whether it should be in CVS or available elsewhere (e.g. do we want to
distribute HP/UX executables to Windows users?)
2. Whether now is the appropriate time to check it in.
3. Where it should go. I'm thinking tools/build/bin/<platform>...

> Maybe we should ask Boost-Users what they prefer ?

It couldn't hurt.

> > OK, the use of alloca is part of code in jamgram.c, which is generated
by
> > gnu bison, the only version of yacc that I have on my system. If you
look at
> > the previously-checked-in version of jamgram.c, which was generated by
some
> > other yacc, you'll see that there's no use of alloca. If there is a yacc
on
> > your HP machine, it could be used to generate a new jamgram.c, which, I
> > imagine, would not use alloca.
>

> Funny thing is that I've built everything locally, so I used the yacc
> provided by HP.

If you build using make, the initial build does not run yacc, so you will be
using the bison output source that's currently checked in. Only the Jam
bootstrap stage runs yacc. So, you might have better luck building it with
Perforce Jam (without invoking make).

> I'll keep you up to date about trying out the workarounds next time I've
> access to the IBM and HP (only few days a week)

OK. I wish this were easier. I guess you do, too.

-Dave