From: Kevlin Henney (kevlin_at_[hidden])
Date: 2001-10-17 01:04:08

>Perhaps it would be helpful to provide an explanation as to which part of the
>cast caused the exception:
>
>if(!(interpreter << arg))
> throw bad_lexical_cast("Source Insertion");
>if(!(interpreter >> result))
> throw bad_lexical_cast("Result Extraction");
>if(!(interpreter >> STD ws).eof())
> throw bad_lexical_cast("Not At End Of Available Data");
>
>an enum might be smarter. Also would it be too much overhead to have the
>type_info's of the types used available in the
>exception? I tend to use one blanket catch for a lot of lexical_casts, and it
>gets to be a pain to track down which one threw.

I think this is an excellent suggestion. What are Booster preferences
from the following possibilities:

(1) Add specific throws:
  (a) Not at all.
  (b) Distinguished by initialiser string.
  (c) Distinguished by enum.
  (d) Both (b) and (c).
(2) Add type information details:
  (a) Not at all.
  (b) In exception result string.
  (c) As attributes to represent the type_info of the source and target.
  (d) Both (b) and (c).

Kevlin

  Kevlin Henney phone: +44 117 942 2990
  mailto:kevlin_at_[hidden] mobile: +44 7801 073 508
  http://www.curbralan.com fax: +44 870 052 2289
  Curbralan: Consultancy + Training + Development + Review