From: David Abrahams (david.abrahams_at_[hidden])
Date: 2001-10-19 03:46:53

----- Original Message -----
From: "Darin Adler" <darin_at_[hidden]>

> For threads in Mac OS before Mac OS X, you have two main choices
> <http://developer.apple.com/macos/multiprocessing.html>. The Macintosh
> Thread Manager gives you co-operative multitasking, which might not fit
the
> Boost.Thread library abstraction well. The Multiprocessing API would
> probably fit the Boost.Thread model pretty well, but there are some pretty
> severe restrictions on what parts of the Mac OS you can use from threads
> other than the main one.
>
> It might be a good project to adapt Boost.Thread to one or both of these
> models, but it's definitely not already done.

When I was working on MacOS, I always thought it might be an acceptable
model to have a single OS thread which serves all others via a
message-passing API, and to use a set of wrapper headers to forward the
regular MacOS calls to the message queues instead of going straight to the
OS. (Un?)fortunately, I never needed anything like that badly enough to
implement it ;-)

-Dave

  David Abrahams, C++ library designer for hire
 resume: http://users.rcn.com/abrahams/resume.html

        C++ Booster (http://www.boost.org)
          email: david.abrahams_at_[hidden]