From: Peter Dimov (pdimov_at_[hidden])
Date: 2001-10-19 06:00:47

From: "Darin Adler" <darin_at_[hidden]>
> j) reset() on a unique shared_ptr now allocates memory due to simpler
> swap idiom implementation

I believe that boost implementations have several goals:

* Provide a (standard-ready) library specification for the LWG;
* Provide a reference implementation of the above;
* Advocate good design and coding practices;
* Provide a library that is useable in real world conditions.

Therefore I think that in this particular case we should omit the
optimization, keeping the reference implementation clear, readable, and
'obviously' correct.

Standard library implementors, of course, will put performance above
clarity.

--
Peter Dimov
Multi Media Ltd.